Is Systema training realistic?
- No training is entirely realistic. If we were to train in an entirely realistic manner, it would be functionally real, and we would all be spending a lot of time at the hospital. What we strive to do in Systema training is to introduce sufficient elements of realism to allow ourselves to prepare for real situations.
Why are so many of the drills in Systema practiced slowly?
- Much of Systema is taught by a progressive sequence of drills that emphasize proper movement, breathing, posture, and relaxation. These are all things that need to be learned, initially, in slower drills. You may have heard the quote before that slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. To be fast, you must be smooth, and to become smooth, you must practice slowly. Your speed, and the speed of the drills, will increase as you improve.
How do I know what I’m learning in Systema will work when I need it to?
- Systema has been combat tested by Russian special forces units for decades. In addition, Systema training is sought out by current and former military and law enforcement personnel around the world, and they have found these skills to be effective in their work. The real-life successes of Systema practitioners over many decades is great evidence of the effectiveness of Systema.
How long does it take to become proficient at Systema?
- Proficiency is hard to define. There is always more to learn and room to improve. However, most people discover that they have made significant improvement in their ability to defend themselves in just a few months of training. Like any skill, different people will progress at different rates, and continued practice is always recommended.
- Yes, in many ways. The physical skills can help with almost any active pursuit. You will become more comfortable and efficient in your movement, and learn to avoid unnecessary tension. You will find that you start to move more intuitively and smoothly; for instance, you will find it much easier to move through large crowds of people because you will be able to make the small adjustments in your movement necessary to take advantage of small gaps in the crowd.
- In addition, the psychological skills gained in Systema can help you in every aspect of your life. You will learn to breathe and relax in stressful situations instead of becoming tense and anxious. You will begin to control and eliminate fear, freeing yourself from the constant tension and worry so many people experience.